Make your selection :
- Sewing ideas
DECORATIVE FAIRY LIGHTS
DownloadDecor fairy lights.pdf
- Two 30cm x 30cm sheets of template paper
- Four 25cm-wide strips of lightweight fabric (netting, crepe de chine, taffeta or tulle)
- Elastic bands or ribbons
- One ordinary string of fairly lights (readily available from supermarkets and large chain stores)
- Using the template paper, cut out 20 or more rectangles measuring 5cm x 15cm (the number of rectangles should correspond to the number of fairy lights on the string).
- Roll up each of the paper rectangles to make a small cylinder, and staple into place, overlapping the edges by at least 1cm to ensure each cylinder is firmly fixed.
- Taking the lightweight fabric, carefully tear or cut (depending on fabric type) a quantity of 25 x 25cm squares corresponding to the number of lights on the string.
- Place each cylinder vertically in the center of a fabric square, and bring the four corners of the square together so that the fabric surrounds the cylinder.
- Holding each cylinder from underneath, position it over a fairy light.
- Pull the fabric tightly over the cylinder to cover the bulb, as if you were wrapping a tiny parcel. The fabric should hold the cylinder in place.
- Bring the four corners of the fabric together over the cylinder and attach firmly using an elastic band or ribbon.
- Repeat until you have covered all the fairly lights along the entire length of the string.